Marking a historical first for Mizoram, Ngopa Village Council won the Best Gram Panchayat Award under Nanaji Deshmukh Sarvottam Panchayat Satat Vikas Puraskar category (for aggregate performance under all themes). The President of India, Shri Draupadi Murmu presented the award earlier today at the National Panchayat Awards ceremony in New Delhi.
Over 2 lakh Panchayats all over India were ranked based on their performance under 9 LSGD themes :
1. Poverty free and enhanced livelihoods Panchayat
2. Healthy Panchayat
3. Child Friendly Panchayat
4. Water Sufficient Panchayat
5. Clean and Green Panchayat
6. Self-sufficient infrastructure in Panchayat
7. Socially Secured Panchayat
8. Panchayat with Good Governance
9. Women-Friendly Panchayat
The best Gram Panchayat Award comes with a commemorative plaque and incentive of ₹1.5 crores.
Ngopa had also previously been declared the cleanest urban town in Mizoram just this year.